How do I restart or turn off my GNARBOX?
Rebooting the GNARBOX is as easy as turning it off and then turning it back on again. To power the GNARBOX off (shutdown), hold the power button for 3 seconds, until the green LED starts blinking rapidly, then release the button. To turn on again, hold the power button for 3 seconds until the LEDs light up.
Restarting your GNARBOX can often solve a variety of basic issues, so it's worth giving a shot first thing if you're encountering a problem with your GNARBOX. Restarting your phone can also sometimes fix problems, so give that a shot too!
What is the default GNARBOX wifi password?
The default wifi password for the GNARBOX is gnarbox!
Why doesn't my phone connect to the GNARBOX wifi automatically every time?
Your phone remembers other wifi networks and is prioritizing those over the GNARBOX wireless network, which forces you to connect to the GNARBOX wifi each time you want to use it.
I just connected to my GNARBOX wifi, but now my phone's wireless shows zero bars and a message "No Internet Connection", what's going on?
This is totally normal! The wifi that the GNARBOX creates won't connect you to the internet. The wifi pairs the GNARBOX with your phone, similar to the way you would pair your phone with a Bluetooth device.
Your phone should still be able to connect to the internet via your cellular connection.
I have an SD card and a microSD card plugged into my GNARBOX at the same time. Why am only seeing one of them in Devices?
The GNARBOX SD and microSD ports share a connection to the GNARBOX, so if you have a card plugged into both slots, it is only able to read one at a time. Make sure you've only got a card in the slot you want read!
My GNARBOX is hot to the touch - is it overheating?
The GNARBOX can get pretty warm when it's working hard, but don't worry, that's just the passive heat sink doing its job. The GNARBOX will shut down if it begins overheating, but this will only happen if functioning in extremely hot environments in direct sunlight.
How do I connect my GNARBOX to my computer?
- In the GNARBOX app, go to Settings > USB3 Mode > Mass Storage Mode
- In the app you will see an indication that you are now in Mass Storage mode
- Using the cable provided, plug your GNARBOX into your computer's USB port
- Your GNARBOX should now show up as an external hard drive on your computer
- To go back to Normal mode and stop using the GNARBOX with your computer, simply go into the GNARBOX app, click 'Open GNARBOX Settings', select USB3 mode and then choose Normal.
Why does my GNARBOX say 107GB available instead of 128GB after I've deleted all my files off it?
Although the GNARBOX has a capacity of 128GB, we reserve a small amount of space for a file cache as well as the program that runs the GNARBOX.
I tried exporting my Highlight Reel to my phone's Camera Roll, but it's not there after the Highlight Reel finishes exporting!
In order to exporting a Highlight Reel to your phone, your GNARBOX undertakes a two step process. First, it has to export the Highlight Reel - you can watch the process by clicking the Task Manager button. If your Highlight Reel fails to export to either your GNARBOX or phone, it is possible that the Highlight Reel's final export is over 4GB, which is the current export limit. Try shortening your Highlight Reel and it should work!
Once this process completes, you will see the Task Manager wheel continue to spin and you will see an alert that you MUST stay in the GNARBOX app while your Highlight Reel saves to your phone's Camera Roll.
Click ok, and then view the progress of your Highlight Reel saving to your Camera Roll in the Task Manager.
Be sure not to navigate out of the GNARBOX app until this process completes!
If your reel still doesn't export, it is possible that the export exceeds 4GB. The GNARBOX currently cannot export files larger than 4GB due to its internal formatting, so we recommend keeping reels under 5 minutes.
How do I get music on my GNARBOX?
Simply select the songs you want to use from your computer, copy them to an SD card or thumb drive, and then upload from there directly to your GNARBOX. MP3 files work best!
I plugged my camera into my GNARBOX , why isn't it showing up in Devices?
We don't recommend plugging your camera directly into your GNARBOX for a couple reasons:
- Each camera company's implementation of Mass Storage mode (which is what allows you to see your files when your camera is plugged into your computer) varies drastically, which makes it very difficult to develop support within the GNARBOX for each camera without us developing a software solution for each individual model.
- The USB2 connection your camera uses is slower than SD card slot connection built into the GNARBOX
- Having your camera plugged into your GNARBOX will drain the GNARBOX power unnecessarily
- Camera companies encourage users to use card readers and not plug their camera in for file transferring because it ages your camera by making it work harder than it should. It's better for you camera to take the card out for file importing!
If you have a camera that uses a CF or XQD instead of an SD card, we recommend using a USB3 card reader to backup your photos onto your GNARBOX!
What do I do if my GNARBOX isn't powering off after I hold down the power button for 3 seconds?
Hold down the power button for 10 seconds and it should go off!
Does GNARBOX support AVCHD or .MTS files?
Unfortunately GNARBOX does not currently support AVCHD or .MTS files.
Is there a separate iPad or tablet app?
GNARBOX does not currently have an app optimized for tablets, but the current app is compatible with all tablets!
As always, we're here to help solve your GNARBOX related issues, so if you're unable to find the answer you're looking for on help.gnarbox.com, feel free to shoot us a message using the chat window found in the bottom right corner of the page!
Kat is the Community Manager at GNARBOX. Talk to her about Sony cameras, adventure photography and video editing with the GNARBOX! You can see her personal work at instagram.com/kat.greenbaum and vimeo.com/kgreenbaum.