This article gives a more in-depth look at current GNARBOX supported and unsupported file types. You will also find additional information about transcoding audio and video files on the GNARBOX.
In this article, we will cover:
- Supported and unsupported photo file formats
- Supported and unsupported video file formats
- Transcoding audio and video
- Suggested video transcode workflows
In general, these file formats are compatible with GNARBOX:
- H.265 GoPro Hero 6
- RAW files (Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji and Olympus file formats)*
- Video shot at: <720p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 2.7k, 4k
- Frame rate: 24fps, 30fps, 48fps, 60fps, 80fps, 90fps, 120fps, 180fps, 240fps
* see unsupported video file types below!
If you are a GNARBOX owner and are experiencing a file type error, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not own a GNARBOX and want to inquire further about file type support, please feel free to use the live chat icon in the lower right corner to get in touch with us.
Current unsupported photo file types for editing:
- Canon 5D mark IV RAW
- Canon 6D mark II RAW
- Leica C Type 112 RWL
- Fujifilm RAF Lossless Compressed
- Fujifilm RAF Uncompressed
- GoPro RAW photos
You are able to back these files up and move them around within the GNARBOX ecosystem. However, to edit the RAW files you will need to export them to your mobile device and open the file in Lightroom Mobile, Snapseed, or your favorite mobile RAW editing app.
Current unsupported video file types for video playback / editing:
- .MTS (AVCHD, XAVC)
- Canon MJPEG MOVs
- 360 video files
- H.265 iPhone Video Recordings
Despite the fact that ProRes files are often packaged in an .MP4 wrapper, the files contained within are unfortunately not compatible with the GNARBOX’s video transcoder.
XAVC users should also note that XAVC-S is supported, but any .MTS files (AVCHD and XAVC will not).
* For iPhone h.265 users, you are able to go into the Video Recording settings on your iPhone and change your settings to record in h.264 so that your video is compatible with the GNARBOX. We are working on an update that will allow compatibility for iPhone h.265 in the future.
You are able to back these file types up and move them around within the GNARBOX ecosystem, but playback and editing are currently not supported for these file types.
Transcoding video and audio
Video transcode times can vary depending on a number of different factors. These include:
- Frame rate
- RAW audio
High frame rate and high bitrate videos can take longer to transcode depending on the speed and bitrate they were shot at.
RAW audio can cause extended transfer time as well. Examples of RAW Audio can include:
- Mono audio
- 44KHz audio
- RAW audio frames
- Audio codecs that aren’t standard to h.264 (ie: XAVC-S, GoPro Hero 4 Session, etc)
RAW audio will take roughly 1 second to transcode each second of audio.
Suggested Transcoding Workflow
To help minimize wait time, here’s a workflow we highly suggest if you’re looking to transcode a handful of clips:
- Plug in memory card, copy files you want processed over to the GNARBOX
- As soon as the file transfer is finished, eject the memory card
- The GNARBOX will begin to preprocess the footage. Wait about 1 minute for every 1 minute of video shot.
If you are trying to edit a full 128gb card full of fresh footage, you should expect longer transcode wait times, but this process will work great if you’re just looking to edit a drone flight or two!
As always, we're here to help solve your GNARBOX related issues, so if you're unable to find the answer you're looking for on help.gnarbox.com, feel free to shoot us a message using the chat window found in the bottom right corner of the page!
Marlena is the Community Support Manager at GNARBOX. Talk to her about Canon cameras, travel and adventure photography! You can see her personal work at instagram.com/marlenapearlphoto and marlenapearlphotography.com