Software release 1.8.0 brings an exciting and new collaboration with mobile editing industry leaders LumaTouch. GNARBOX now integrates with the LumaFusion app to create a laptop-free, full-featured mobile editing experience! LumaFusion is available in the iOS app store for a one-time purchase of $19.99USD. We consider LumaFusion the best mobile video editor in the game and are excited to be integrated with them. If you are serious about editing on the go, this is the app for you!
This update unlocks a variety of features that our users expressed a desire for including retiming clips, multi-track timeline, slow motion, transitions, cropping, titles, LUTS, and more -- all within the LumaFusion app.
In order to use the GNARBOX x LumaFusion integration, you will need:
- GNARBOX Firmware and App versions 1.8.0
- LumaFusion App version 1.6
- iOS device (iPhone or iPad)
This article will cover:
- GNARBOX x LumaFusion integration workflow walk-through
- Getting started with LumaFusion editing
- Best practices for transcoding with GNARBOX
GNARBOX x LUMAFUSION INTEGRATION WORKFLOW
For a full video tutorial and walk-through of the LumaFusion integration, check our our YouTube tutorial:
- Connect to your GNARBOX as you normally would by powering it up and connecting to the WiFi.
- Once connected, open up the LumaFusion app.
- Click the "Sources" icon in the upper-left corner of the screen and select "GNARBOX" from the list of sources.
- From here, you can locate the files on your GNARBOX and even open up files from connected devices such as SD cards or external hard drives. Navigate through your GNARBOX or devices to find the files you wish to edit.
- Click on a file to watch playback. Select the part of the clip you want to add to your video.
- Drop your clip on the timeline. Continue editing by repeating the last 2 steps until you've created your desired reel!
GETTING STARTED WITH LUMAFUSION
If you're not familiar with the incredible power that LumaFusion can add to your mobile video editing workflow or you're looking to learn more about how to use LumaFusion, we'd recommend checking out these resources that we greatly enjoyed:
TRANSCODING BEST PRACTICES
To help minimize wait time, we highly suggest transcoding all of your video files on your GNARBOX prior to importing them to LumaFusion. This is a workflow we use:
- Plug in memory card and copy files over to GNARBOX.
- The GNARBOX will begin to preprocess the footage. As a general guideline, wait about 1 minute for every 1 minute of video shot.
- When the process has finished, check your video files to make sure the green timeline bar below your video preview has fully loaded.
Once this process is complete, go ahead and import your files into LumaFusion. This should bypass and transcode wait time within the LumaFusion app!
If you are trying to edit a full 128gb card full of fresh footage, you should expect longer transcode wait times, but this process will work great if you’re just looking to edit a drone flight or two!
- For Android Users: We plan to make our API available to more partners later this Spring, so start making feature requests to your editor of choice if you want to see an integration with GNARBOX! We'd love to connect with an Android-focused video editing company for an integration!
- For full 1.8.0 software release notes, check out this article.
As always, we're here to help solve your GNARBOX related issues, so if you're unable to find the answer you're looking for on help.gnarbox.com, feel free to shoot us a message using the chat window found in the bottom right corner of the page!
Marlena is the Community Support Manager at GNARBOX. Talk to her about Canon cameras, travel and adventure photography! You can see her personal work at instagram.com/marlenapearlphoto and marlenapearlphotography.com