One of our most requested features, the ability to import photos and videos from your iPhone, is now part of the GNARBOX experience!
For iOS 11 we've introduced wireless phone integration for the first time, thanks to the new iOS Files App!
Using the Files App in iOS 11 with GNARBOX
Here are instructions on how to wirelessly transfer files from your iOS 11 device to your GNARBOX:
- Connect to your GNARBOX as you normally would via WiFi and open the GNARBOX app to finish the connection.
- Open up the Photos App on your phone.
- Tap "select" in the upper right-hand-corner and select the photos/videos you wish to transfer to your GNARBOX.
- Click the "share" icon in the lower left-hand-corner.
- You'll see a few options come up and you may need to scroll to the right to find "save to files" -- select that option.
- You'll see a few folder options pop up in this screen. Select "GNARBOX" >> GNARBOX >> All Files and choose a folder location you desire.
- Then click the "Add" button in the upper-right corner.
- The iOS Files App does not provide any feedback when your file has been transferred or is in the process of transferring. It may take a minute or two for the files to transfer over depending on how many you've selected. After a few minutes, open the GNARBOX app and you'll find your photos/videos transferred over.
If you've recently updated to iOS 11.3 or greater and/or GNARBOX is not appearing as a Location to transfer files to from your iOS device, do the following:
- Open up the Files App on your iOS device
- Click "edit" in the top right-hand-corner
- Make sure GNARBOX is toggled to the "on" position
You should now be good to go!
Please note that we are currently experiencing a bug with wired transfers between iOS 11 devices and the GNARBOX. Wired transfer will become available with the launch of our new operating system in December 2018.
Using the GNARBOX with Earlier Versions of iOS
For earlier versions of iOS, here's how to access your iPhone on your GNARBOX:
First, plug your iPhone into your GNARBOX using your iPhone charging cable.
The in the app, you'll get an alert asking if you want to trust this device - hit Trust.
Now navigate to the Devices page, and select your iPhone.
Let the files load in and create thumbnails. This might take a minute depending on how much content you have on your phone. You should now be able to select photos and videos from your iPhone and import them directly to your GNARBOX.
For devices with large amounts of content stored on them, simply switch to List View in your File Manager!
Kat is the Community Manager at GNARBOX. Talk to her about Sony cameras, adventure photography and video editing with the GNARBOX! You can see her personal work at instagram.com/kat.greenbaum and vimeo.com/kgreenbaum.